Our Top 11 platforms to hire a freelance Web designer:
- With its selective vetting process that rewards the top 3% design applicants with years of experience, Toptal hosts professionals ready to deliver results for most engagements.
- The platform matches you with a web designer for your needs, so you can save time and energy sifting through profiles to find a web designer.
- Because of the expectations and accountability of Toptal’s web design freelancers, along with the no-risk trial, you can stress less about the experience or outcomes.
Upwork is the result of a merger between two well-known freelance platforms: Odesk and Elance. The platform has a range of project options and project management tools to support you and the freelancers. Upwork Pro and Enterprise offer more curated settings wherein a select group of website designers can bid on your project. To hire freelance web designers, this platform is a potential option for you.
- Upwork is one of the largest freelance marketplaces with web design freelancers with various types of experience.
- You can hire web designers that fit most budgets or price points.
- With a structured payment system, you approve each project milestone before payment so you can ensure projects get accomplished the way you want.
99designs employs a design contest model where graphic designers and website designers submit their proposals for what your site could look like. You can then hire the website designer whose proposal fits your vision for the site and continue revisions from there. The site offers different packages that determine the skill level of website designers for hire through design submissions.
- With the contest format, you can receive dozens of submissions from freelance web designers, which allows you to see different ways to design your site.
- There are different payment structures allowing for flexibility in balancing the desired design experience and budget.
- If you want a rapid turnaround when you hire a web designer, it’s a potential option.
Dribbble was designed for designers, thoughtfully created to allow designers to have a space to display work, connect, and create. Originally invite-only, Dribbble has transformed to include designers of different stripes, including graphic designers, freelance web designers, branding specialists, and more. The site now hosts a job board to help you find a web designer. Additionally, you can sign up for a Dribbble Talent partner for a curated selection of more experienced web designers.
- As the only platform dedicated solely to designers, Dribbble has designers of most types.
- The community nature of Dribbble provides an opportunity for designers to provide each other feedback and pull inspiration from the community. You can source some of your ideas from the community.
- Dribbble Talent Partner can narrow down the pool of web designers to hire more specifically to your needs.
Behance was created by Adobe to have a place for the designers and artists using Adobe Creative Suite to display their work. Customers can then select different packages to receive access to the designers–and to be able to post jobs.
- Portfolios on Behance include animated or video presentations of web designers’ work, which allows you to explore the interface.
- Behance is the place to go to find web designers using the Adobe Creative Suite.
- You can find website designers on Behance that can accommodate most budgets.
6. Working Not Working
Working Not Working (WNW) is an “UnJobBoard,” which tries to liven up the process of hiring and searching for jobs. Beginning with 300 highly talented freelancers, WNW has grown to include most creatives that want to have a profile, with the lucky few selected as “Vetted.” WNW has each freelancer mark their availability, so you know if someone can tackle your project.
- WNW has a way to identify “vetted” candidates if you need a website designer with a high skill level.
- Designers mark their availability, so you can look for web designers for your timeframe.
- Human, WNW's concierge service, currently in development helps save time by facilitating the match.
7. Envato Studio
Envato Studio is part of the Envato Marketplace which includes different services and communities. The Studio has freelancers and agencies offering different packages around web design and other skills. Packages are straightforward and available in affordable price ranges.
- Envato Studio has quick solutions to find a web designer and get a website built and out the door.
- Envato web designers for hire provide web solutions at a low price.
- The site is straightforward and the project management setup is simple.
DesignCrowd uses the power of crowdsourcing to create design options for you. By posting a contest, you will receive design ideas from dozens of freelance website designers, from which you can choose the one you would like to proceed with. The platform offers different level packages, which provide access to different levels of designers.
- DesignCrowd provides a low-cost way to source a collection of ideas on how to visualize your site.
- DesignCrowd has a money-back guarantee: if you don’t find a website designer you like, you only lose the fees.
- Designs get turned around relatively quickly and on your timeframe.
Freelancer has become one of the largest freelance marketplace with different hiring options. As opposed to other marketplaces, the site charges both the freelancer and the hirer for initiating a project–which places the burden on both but also changes the incentive structure by making sure both sides have collateral.
- On Freelancer, you can hire a web designer through a contest, a job post, or conduct a search.
- There are website designers to hire at most budgets.
- The option for milestones on the project management side helps you gauge progress and mitigate risk.
10. People Per Hour
PeoplePerHour (PPH) is based in the UK and focused on the European market, initially designed for small businesses. The company has a project management tool called workstream that allows for online project management within the site. “Hourlies” are set-priced hourly packages that you can select instead of posting a job.
- You can find web designers that meet most budgets.
- PPH has a focus on serving small businesses, which makes it a great fit if that is your profile.
- Instead of posting a project, you can find a web designer freelance by selecting a pre-priced package.
Fiverr began as a marketplace where every “gig” cost just $5. While services have expanded to include much higher cost options, the platform continues to be known for low-cost services. Moving to Fiverr Pro provides access to a select group of freelancers and round the clock customer service. You'll find a variety of design abilities and capabilities, including web design, logo design, branding, business card design and other specialties.
- Milestones and other project management tools help mitigate risk and keep the project on task.
- Instead of posting a project, you can select pre-priced packages offered by designers.
- Fiverr Pro provides access to a more select group of freelancers and may save you time on the selection side.