A dashboard presents consolidated and well-organized data on a single screen so the summarized information can be monitored at a glance. Dashboards are a unique and powerful way to present data-based intelligence using data visualization techniques that showcase relevant, actionable information as well as critical stats and key performance indicators (KPIs).
A great dashboard is one that is clear, intuitive, and customizable, and:
- Communicates information quickly.
- Displays relevant information clearly and without any errors.
- Shows useful trends and changes in stats and data over time.
- Is easy to customize.
- Smartly places the most important widgets and data components.
The usage of dashboards depends on the type of organization and specific roles that require data. Marketing teams require data from Google Analytics, whereas finance teams require stats on investments, ROI, trends in global markets, etc. irrespective of who is using a dashboard — it must provide an at a glance preview of the most crucial information and an easy way to navigate to various areas or points of action that requires the most attention.
What Is An Dashboard Designer
A dashboard designer is someone who designs a dashboard used to visualize complex data and transform it into digestible and appealing information. A dashboard design software helps businesses and organizations track performance, spot trends, and analyze data results with beautiful charts and to turn static information into actionable insights.
How To Hire The Right Dashboard Designers?
Hiring dashboard designers can get overwhelming if you haven’t hired technical or creative talents before. This holds especially true if you are hiring from a platform where you have to do the legwork of finding and vetting candidates. Having said that, platforms like Toptal make it easy to find and hire dashboard designers since every candidate goes through a rigorous screening and vetting process.
Here are some questions you should have answers to before you decide which platform to turn to for your hiring needs:
- Are you willing to hire remotely? What about offshore?
- What is your budget? This will help you determine which types of designers and platforms fit your budget best.
- Do you need a team or a single dashboard designer? Many platforms offer bulk or team hiring, whereas others are better to hire single talented designers.
Skills Needed To Be A Dashboard Designer
Other skills you should look for in a potential dashboard design candidate are:
- Sense of clean and logical design aesthetic
- Mathematical aptitude
- Problem-solving skills
- Database management
- Basic to advanced programming languages
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- An understanding of the latest trends in dashboard and platform designs
- Teamwork skills, agile experiences
- Self-development skills to keep up to date with fast-changing trends
- Basics of testing design elements
Options For Hiring Dashboard Designers
There are three different options for hiring dashboard designers:
- Full-Time: Hiring a full-time dashboard designer is wise if you are building a robust in-house product that requires a dedicated designer to modify and tweak the dashboard or any of its components on a regular basis. Hiring full-time dashboard designers come at a higher cost but ensures employee loyalty and better productivity.
- Part-Time: Hiring part-time dashboard designers makes sense if the dashboard you’re building is more of a one-time activity and won’t require regular modifications or changes. Hiring part-time dashboard designers is a good option if you wish to hire student designers or people in different time zones.
- Freelance designers: Like part-time, hiring freelance dashboard designers is best suited for companies looking to build a one-time dashboard or product that won’t require too many changes after it is launched. Hiring freelance dashboard designers are cost-efficient, however, controlling their work quality or deadlines can become a task for the employer.
Average Salary Dashboard Designers
According to Salary.com, the average salary for jobs that require the skills of Dashboard Design/Configuration is $173,557 based on the United States National Average.
Top 15 Sites To Find And Hire Dashboard Designers
Founded in 2010, Toptal is a leading professional freelance matchmaking platform that connects talented and skilled designers and developers with top organizations and employers. Toptal was initially created with only tech talent in mind but has scaled to include an exclusive global network of highly talented workers from across a wide suite of fields. Toptal’s rigorous and stringent hiring techniques and high level of scrutiny ensure that only the top 3 percent of the best dashboard designers make the cut.
CEOs, CTOs, product managers, and project managers at top companies and start-ups work with Toptal dashboard design freelancers to enhance their designs for app design, web design, and other design projects depending on their business needs.
Upwork is a leading freelance marketplace that is home to over 12 million users. Upwork is a great platform to hire freelance dashboard designers. Upwork offers organizations the chance to recruit talented and experienced freelance dashboard designers from across the world.
Numerous influential brands and businesses trust Upwork's dashboard freelancers While Upwork offers a suite of dashboard freelancers, most of the screening and vetting process will be left to you.
Hired has a strong global presence across 14 global cities and is widely regarded as a promising platform to hire tech and design experts. Headquartered in San Francisco and founded in 2012, Hired offers some of the best dashboard professionals in the industry for hire.
Hired helps companies save over 45 hours of sourcing and recruiting per candidate. Hired’s AI matching platform and massive portfolio of designers make it easy to hire skilled dashboard designers.
DesignHill makes for a convenient and affordable platform to hire dashboard designers. Whether you’re looking for talented dashboard designers to build a complicated FinTech dashboard or a generic data dashboard designer, DesignHill is trusted by numerous leading brands and businesses in the likes of BBC, Deloitte, Microsoft, and more. DesignHill is a leading marketplace where intuitive and creative designers connect businesses and employers with professional designers. DesignHill offers employers flexible pricing options and 24x7 customer support.
99Designs is a dedicated design-centric online platform that connects recruiters and businesses with some of the industry’s finest UX and dashboard designers. Like DesignHill, 99Designs also offers you the option to start a design contest that helps recruiters see the work of multiple designers.
Founded in 2008, 99Designs boasts of a pool of experienced and award-winning designers is a highly trusted platform that will surely live up to your expectations for finding the right dashboard designer.
Guru is definitely a platform to turn to when you’re looking to hire talented dashboard designers and professionals. Guru is a leading freelance hiring platform known for its secure and flexible talent-hiring options. Guru is also cost-efficient and boasts a 100 percent customer satisfaction rate.
Guru is home to hundreds and thousands of designers and also offers 24/7 customer support. With Guru, you can find the right designer for dashboard development based on the specific requirements of your project. Guru’s SafePay payment option makes it a reliable and trusty platform.
Founded in 2009, Freelancer is an Australian crowdsourcing marketplace and operates as one of the world’s largest freelance talent markets. From web developers to talented designers to skillful writers, Freelancer is one of the best places to begin your hunt for hiring talented dashboard designers. Freelancer is trusted by Microsoft, PWC, Boeing, and several other noteworthy brands and small businesses.
Headquartered in Tel Aviv, Fiverr is a leading platform to hire talented freelance dashboard designers. Whether you’re looking for a basic dashboard design or a complicated dashboard with multiple data points and graphics, Fiverr’s international community of freelance developers will certainly fit the bill.
Although screening and vetting of developers is the employer’s responsibility, Fiverr is trusted by leading brands and businesses to hire talented freelance dashboard designers. Additionally, Fiverr offers exceptional customer support.
Formerly, Codementor X, Arc helps recruiters to find and hire top remote developers and designers effortlessly. Arc’s industry-leading and rigorous screening process known as ‘Silicon-Valley Calibre Vetting’ ensures that only 1.1 percent of candidates pass their technical & behavioral assessments. This means employers get access to the best dashboard designers out there. Arc does the heavy lifting of identifying qualified design candidates and vetting them to ensure they match your project’s requirements.
Launched in 2004, Indeed is an employment search engine accessible across 60 countries and is currently one of the most visited job sites in the United States. Indeed’s effective tools help employers find, vet, and hire some of the best dashboard designers.
Indeed’s sponsored job posts ensure that the right recruiters see the job post and it is 3.5 times more likely to result in a hire. Trusted by numerous noteworthy businesses like McDonald’s, the University Of Oxford, and Nokia, to name a few, Indeed is definitely a platform to consider when hiring dashboard designers with a gamut of UI/UX experience.
Dice is a dedicated technology job board and leading platform to hire engineers and designers with solid experience in tech. Dice helps employers connect with a unique, diverse, and qualified pool of dashboard designers. Dice boasts of over 3 million registered developers and design professionals. Dice is trusted by most leading technical recruiters and designers. Dice offers a wide suite of handy features like social recruiting, email advertising, access to resumes, and an option to screen candidates.
Wandr is a Los Angeles-based product design and UX design firm that primarily helps small and mid-size businesses with design requirements. Wandr is perfect for companies with a focus on IT, business services, and healthcare. Founded in 2016, Wandr has a global team of top-class UI/UX designers who help companies build the right kind of design for their products.
Most of Wandr’s teamwork remotely, enabling them to assign a perfect mix of designers to create products. Wandr’s highly qualified designers will surely help to build the perfect dashboard design for your business.
UX Studio is a digital design company with a team of over 40 UX design and research experts based out of Hungary, Budapest. With a core focus on UX/UI designs, UX Studio offers some of the best designer talents to design dashboards for companies all over the world.
UX Studio works with large enterprises and startups across various industry verticals like FinTech, Fashion, Travel, HealthCare, Education, and more. UX Studio has successfully completed over 250 UX projects.
With Upstack, you can hire experienced Dashboard Design developers and expand your remote team to build beautiful dashboards. Upstack is an invite-only platform for high-quality, well-experienced Dashboard Design Developers and engineers. Leading stalwarts and fast-growing new companies choose Upstack to grow their Dashboard Design development team and build better dashboards. Upstack’s intelligent matching system makes it easy to hore dashboard designers in a matter of a few days instead of a few months.
Dashboard Design Best Practices:
Before you hire a dashboard designer, it’s important to understand the basic best practices of dashboard design.
1. Design a dashboard that does its job while sticking to a single screen. Dashboards are meant to provide an at-a-glance view and not be multi-screen puzzles.
2. A dashboard should use a good responsive design that is clear, easily understood so the user can control exactly which data needs to be front and center in the dashboard.
3. Highlighting effectively what’s important. A dashboard that helps the user take the right decisions instantly is what brings a good user experience and helps business create data-driven strategies.
4. Arranging the data: A great dashboard design considers the principles of information architecture and hierarchy to ensure proper placement of which cards to show and in which positions.
5. Keep things light and airy, with a splash of color, while ensuring clear visibility, simple navigation, and striking good looks. This adds up to an user friendly and amazing experience.
Choose A Dashboard Design Type
It’s important to first determine which type of dashboard design you wish to use and develop. There are three main types of Business Intelligence dashboards:
1. Operational dashboards – these dashboards help the user see what’s happening in real-time.
2. Analytical dashboards – these dashboards give the user a complete view of performance trends and potential problems.
3. Strategic dashboards – this type of dashboard lets the user track their strategic goals via KPIs.
It's also important to determine whether you want an interactive dashboard or static one, and which dashboard design tools would you use. One of the most common dashboard design tools is Power BI.
Microsoft Power BI is a business analytics tool that enables users to visualize, analyze and share data. It was first released in March 2014 as part of Microsoft's Office 365 subscription service. The software is available for free download on the web or via a desktop application. A mobile version of Power BI was made available in August 2015.
The software allows users to create reports using data from multiple sources including Excel files, databases, text documents, websites, social media feeds and other third-party.
Which Platform Should You Choose To Hire Dashboard Designers?
The 15 companies mentioned above are all amazing platforms to hire top-tier dashboard designers. However, which one will suit your requirements depends on your specific requirements.
We’ve prepared a checklist that you can refer to in order to pick the perfect company for your dashboard design needs.
1. Reputation: Do the platform’s designers have a good reputation? Have they won any awards or accolades? Are the reviews of previous clients good?
2. Quality of clients: Who are the clients of the particular platform? Do any of the clients have similar projects to yours?
3. Quality of projects: How has the company fared in completing previous projects? Have the results been successful?
4. Cost estimates: What sort of budget does the company work with? Does it fit in your budget? Are there any add-ons or fringe benefits?
Answering these questions will help you pick the right company to find the perfect dashboard designers for your requirements.