The Top 11 platforms to hire a UI designer:
Toptal is a curated freelance platform that matches the right designer with clients for their project needs. The engagements work well because Toptal has an easy starting point: Toptal vets and tests every applicant to the network, ensuring that every Toptal designer shows language mastery, a personality fit, and an elite skill set to perform exceptionally for clients of all sizes and project needs. Toptal’s customer service and highly selective candidate pool has earned it top marks. The site then provides a platform for managing your projects and payments. It’s a great option for small businesses, large enterprises, and startups alike.
- Toptal rigorously tests and vets every freelancer that joins its network, so you know you will be working with an experienced, talented, professional UI designer.
- The platform provides you with a personal matching service that takes into account more than just a designer’s skillset. You will be matched with a UI designer who is a great culture fit for your team or company, so you can save time.
- Because of the high expectations and accountability of Toptal UI designers for hire, along with Toptal’s no-risk trial, you don’t have to worry about the experience or outcomes.
- Because Toptal has a high caliber of designers and a personalized matching service, it may be more expensive than other services to hire a UI designer.
- If you don't have experience working with designers, or your project is a short-term commitment , it might be better to start with a cheaper option.
Upwork is the most well known platform of the freelance universe. It provides the infrastructure to work with freelancers in the way that you decide works for you. You can pay hourly, hire full time, or hire on a project-basis. Upwork recently launched Upwork Pro and Upwork Enterprise, which provide a curated group of freelancers to bid on your project as well as additional project management amenities.
- The merger of two dominant competitors, Upwork has years of experience in providing freelance services of all types.
- You can find a UI designer at any rate and experience level, and check out their portfolio before you hire.
- With a structured payment system, you approve each project milestone before payment so you can ensure projects get accomplished the way you want.
- Customer service is limited if disputes arise, so don’t expect quick, easy solutions.
- UI designers on Upwork are located all over the world, so you will need to ensure you can communicate well with your hires.
- It can be difficult and time consuming to sift through the UI designers for hire to determine which will be the best for your particular project.
- 99designs only provides the visual design images. You can either provide designers with wireframes, or they will make assumptions about the underlying UI design.
- If you enter a contest, you can check out dozens of ways different designers have interpreted your project before deciding the top design.
- You can also hire a UI/UX designer directly instead of having a contest, choosing from the top designers on the site.
- 99designs is very much focused on visual design, so there is not much incentive for designers to pay careful attention to research-based UX/UI needs.
- Because designers have about a 1/100 chance of getting paid for any contest they enter, experienced, talented, best UX UI designers tend to source work elsewhere.
- It is difficult to share all branding and values up front.
Dribbble is a platform created specifically for designers. Since its inception as an invitation-only community for designers, the platform has dropped the invitation requirement and has since blown up with designers of all kinds. They have also added a job board that includes freelance, part-time, and full-time positions. Dribbble encourages local meetups and online team creation.
- Dribbble has a vast universe of designers of all types, so you should be able to find a designer with strong UI experience.
- With a very intentional community atmosphere, designers and community members can draw from each other and advise others on their work.
- With Dribbble Talent, you can receive pre-vetted UI design recommendations to access candidates ready to work with you.
- There is no quality control on Dribbble because the work takes place separately from the platform.
- Dribbble does not have a payment system, so you will have to work out contracts and payments separately.
- Dribbble has become a great entry point for early-career designers, but may not be the best place if you are looking for the top UI designers.
Working Not Working.
- Working Not Working works to pull in strong design candidates looking for full time and long-term UI design work.
- The platform structure allows you to see when UI designers are available for hire, so you can hire UI designers that meet your project timeline.
- Save time with Human, WNW’s concierge service.
- Working Not Working does not have a payment processing system or internal contract structure.
- With a monthly membership fee, Working Not Working is focused on large companies that need frequent hires.
- Because you would have to hire a UI designer independent of the site, there is no intermediary if things with your newbie do not work out.
- Envato is extremely affordable and has options at different price levels.
- Clearly laid out contract terms and support information provides you with quick information about what you should expect from the UI designer for hire.
- In many ways, Envato Studio provides “one-stop shop” solutions–especially for WordPress and other web-builder platforms with UI concepts already incorporated.
- For the most part, pre-made templates are available on Envato Studio, so you may not be able to design something extremely customized.
- There are no quality controls in place, so it can be difficult to determine the integrity of the template or service you purchase.
- Templates and solutions are fairly simple, limiting the UI services available.
- DesignCrowd provides you with an extremely low cost way to source a collection of ideas on the visual design of your site or mobile app.
- DesignCrowd has a money back guarantee—so if you don’t like any solutions, you only lose the overhead fees.
- Designs get turned around quickly and on your timeframe.
- DesignCrowd is very much focused on visual design, so there is not much incentive for designers to pay careful attention to UX/UI needs.
- Because the designers have about a 1/100 chance of getting paid for any contest they enter, experienced, talented UI designers tend to source work elsewhere.
- The contest structure does not allow for clear communication up front to establish brand strategy and integrity.
- Behance allows animated or video presentations of designer’s work, so you can explore the interface.
- There are designers that specialize in UI design for web and mobile development.
- Artists of all type and at all levels use Behance, so you can find the right designer.
- If you don’t know much about design work, then trying to hire UI designers through galleries/portfolios may not yield the level of expertise you are looking for.
- Finding the right website designer for you can be time consuming.
- Behance can be a bit overwhelming and unfocused, with designs of all types.
People Per Hour.
- You can hire a UI designer at any rate and experience level, and check out their portfolio before you hire.
- PPH is focused on serving small businesses, so if that describes you, it’s a strong fit.
- With Hourlies, you can select pre-priced projects, so you don’t have to work up a job description to hire a UI designer.
- PPH is known for its lack of customer service.
- Be wary of hidden charges.
- UI designers on People Per Hour are located all over the world, so you will need to ensure you control for time zones in hiring or at least ensure that you can communicate effectively with your hires.
- Choose between a contest, posting a job, or just finding a UI freelancer through a search.
- Find UI designers for hire at any price point.
- Creating milestones allows for longer more complex projects to be implemented with less risk.
- It can be time-consuming to determine the best UI designer for your particular project.
- Freelancer receives very low marks when it comes to customer service, and you must place money in escrow to even access dispute resolution.
- Unfortunately there are many scams on the site, so it is important to take proper precautions when you hire a UI designer.
Originally started as the marketplace to buy a “gig” for just $5, Fiverr continues to have a reputation for very low cost services, with a maximum custom price of $10,000. Rather than posting a job, Fiverr is geared towards getting you set up with freelancer-created packages and add-ons, although there is an option to request custom proposal for more complex “gigs.” Fiverr Pro provides access to vetted freelancers and 24/7 customer service.
- Upgrading to Fiverr Pro provides access to a more select group of UI designers for hire.
- With “gigs” posted by freelancers, you do not have to develop a job description.
- Hire UI designers quickly by selecting pre-created packages.
- High fees mean that the sellers earn less than their already-low prices, raising concern about quality.
- Rather than freelancers coming to you, you have to sort through “gigs” to find one that is a good fit.
- Fiverr is not known for top quality customer service.
Send us feedback