The Top 11 Platforms to Hire a Graphic Designer Online
Toptal has transformed the freelance marketplace by creating a highly curated experience with customer satisfaction guarantees. Whether you are looking for a freelance graphic artist or to hire a high-quality graphic designer part-time or full-time,Toptal can ensure that you are matched with a designer specific to your needs, interests, and timeline. Critical to the platform’s model is ensuring they only match customers with the best freelance graphic designers AND make sure that the match works for you and your team. Toptal’s intensive screening and testing process identifies the best talent in both design and customer experience. Toptal also offers web designers, software developers, and other experts to help with your graphic design project.
- With only the best graphic designers selected from Toptal’s pool of candidates, you can rest easy knowing you’ll have highly-vetted designers working on your project.
- The no-risk trial period allows you to explore the platform and try out the selected designer before making a commitment.
- Save time and get matched on your timeframe. Rather than pouring through potential candidates, Toptal will match you with a designer that fits your need profile.
Upwork is probably the most well known of the freelance marketplaces. With over 17 million users and 3 million jobs posted each year, the platform serves as a marketplace for skills of all kinds. Additionally, Upwork has inherited the experience and project management systems from the two previous dominant players in the market that merged to form Upwork. With its long history, Upwork is a platform that designers of all levels use to find work. Works well if you're looking for branding, logos, illustrations, Photoshop capabilities, website design or even business cards.
- Upwork has 90% of customers re-hire, pointing to strong customer satisfaction across their diverse clients.
- With designers at all experience levels, you’ll be sure to find a graphic designer to fit within any budget.
- The project management tools allow you to mitigate risk by paying only once certain project milestones are completed.
Dribbble is a community created specifically for designers. Originally invite only, this platform provided space for designers to show their work, meet, share ideas, and find a community. More recently, it has become open to anyone that would like to join and has developed a job board, operating in some ways as a freelance designer marketplace. You can explore portfolios and reach out directly to designers about work, post on the job board, or use Dribbble’s Talent Partner solution.
- The Dribbble community has designers of all types, and is a great place to find a graphic design artist.
- With the community format, Dribbble designers can provide each other feedback, so you can draw from the talent of the community.
- Dribbble Talent can save you significant time when looking for graphic designers by giving you access to a smaller, more qualified group.
Behance is an online graphic design marketplace that was acquired by Adobe as a place for Adobe users to show off their work. Adobe tools include Photoshop, InDesign, and Adobe Illustrator. You can explore beautiful portfolios and works of art by both graphic designers and artists. If you’re interested in hiring through the platform, you can sign up for Adobe Talent through Adobe Creative Cloud or with a monthly package.
- Behance is open to artists of all types, so there’ll be a graphic designer that meets your specific project needs.
- If you’re looking for an independent graphic designer using the Adobe Creative Cloud, this is the place to go.
- Public job posts are free with an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.
5. Working Not Working
Working Not Working (WNW) has taken the stale old job board and given it a fun twist. With the title “UnJobBoard”, WNW has established a site where both freelancers and creatives looking for full-time work can find positions that work for them. With a magazine as well, the platform looks to elevate the status of the creative. Freelancers can mark their calendars as Working or Not Working, so you can sift through designers available in your time frame.
- There are freelance graphic designers for hire at all different skill levels and with all different specialties.
- WNW is trying out a concierge service, Human, which can save you time and risk by helping identify the right candidate for the job.
- WNW does not charge commission, so it is a great place to hire graphic designers for long-term projects or full-time staff.
Boasting over 30 million users, Freelancer is the largest of the graphic designer freelance sites. The platform charges a flat fee of 10% for most projects. With the Preferred Freelancer Program, you can access a group of more highly qualified candidates for a rate of 15% from the platform. Need a full suite of designers, even for web design, product design, logos, branding, illustration? Freelancer has them. One interesting twist is that both parties pay fees for starting a project, which helps distribute accountability and ensure interest and follow through.
- Hire graphic designers through the method that works best for you, whether its a contest, posting a job, searching through profiles, or choosing a pre-existing package.
- There are affordable graphic designers that can meet any budget.
- The payment management system, which includes paying by milestone, helps mitigate risk.
7. People Per Hour
PeoplePerHour is a freelance marketplace built for the European market. With a focus on small businesses, PeoplePerHour(PPH) has lower rates and affordable graphic designers for hire. You can pay by the hour or pay a set rate per project. If you aren’t sure how much time is required for a fairly straightforward task, you can also hire people one-off for “hourlies”. The platform has project management tools to help you with the project, but does not have a service to assist in hiring.
- With a wide variety of designers available, you’ll be able to find a graphic designer online to fit any budget.
- There’s significant flexibility in the type of hire you can make, whether you want to post a job that pays hourly or by project, or you would rather hire through “hourlies” posted by the freelancers.
- You can save time by hiring through a representative project posted by the designers, so that you don’t have to write a job description or sort through applicants.
99designs crowdsources graphic design ideas to meet your request. When you post a job, you may find hundreds of designers submitting their ideas on how to proceed. This system allows you to find the design that you like best before committing to work with a designer. You can also skip the contest and choose to work directly with a single designer. For that option, you get to choose from a pool of more experienced designers.
- View many different takes on your proposal to see what you like best.
- Design packages are affordable, and give you the opportunity to pick and choose the services and experience of designers that make sense for you.
- Designs are turned around at the pace you need, so you can stay within your project’s time frame.
For U.S.-based talent, AIGA is a great place to look. AIGA is the professional association for design in the U.S. With 70 chapters across the U.S., it is the hub and support for many design professionals. While AIGA has a collection of different resources on the site, the job board is a great place to look for designers. Although not geared toward freelancers, it is a good tool for finding graphic designers in the U.S.
- You receive two free job postings per company, so there’s no harm in trying it out.
- Candidates are AIGA members, so they’re committed enough to the field to pay for a membership (although that is the only requirement to join).
- If you want a full-time on-site designer in the U.S., this is a great place to look.
10. Design Hill
Design Hill describes itself as “a combination of a crowdsourcing custom design marketplace and a creative platform for designers to learn and showcase their creative work.” The crowdsource model means that you get to choose from dozens of designs each time you submit a proposal. Alternatively, you can select a monthly package which allows you to make as many requests as you would like in a month, or negotiate a single project directly with a designer.
- With a collection of affordable ways to hire, you can find the package that works best for your needs.
- The contest option means you can see many different perspectives on your project.
- With the monthly membership, you can send as many requests as you would like in a month. If you have lots of basic design work that needs to get done, this could be a great option.
DesignCrowd uses the power of crowdsourcing to give you a collection of options for your designs and selecting a designer. By hosting a contest for your particular need, you will receive submissions from dozens of designers from which you can select the design that you want to continue working on. Prices start at just $99. There are all sorts of opportunities to customize your order to your particular needs.
- DesignCrowd is a very efficient and affordable way to get graphics designed.
- The money-back guarantee lowers the risk of entry.
- Due to the site’s structure, cases in which dispute resolution is required are minimal.