The Top 11 platforms to hire a Web designer:
Toptal is a global freelance talent network comprised of elite designers with proven track records and exceptional skill sets. All applicants to the Toptal network must undergo a rigorous vetting process to ensure their language, personality, technical knowledge, customer service, and project management skills meet Toptal’s high quality standards.
- With its selective vetting process that rewards only the best design applicants , Toptal guarantees high-quality professionals ready to deliver exceptional results for every engagement.
- The platform matches you with the right web designer for your needs, so you can save time and energy sifting through profiles to find the right web designer.
- Because of the high expectations and accountability of Toptal’s web design freelancers, along with the no-risk trial, you don’t have to worry about the experience or outcomes.
- Because of the focus on quality and custom matching service, Toptal may costs more than some of the other platforms.
- If you have a very simple or basic project, or if you do not have a clear end product in mind, it may be better to find a freelance website designer on another platform.
Upwork is the result of a merger between two of the most well-known and largest freelance platforms: Odesk and Elance. The platform has a range of project options and project management tools to support you and the freelancers. Upwork Pro and Enterprise offer more curated settings wherein a select group of qualified freelancers can bid on your project. To hire freelance web designers, this platform is one of your best options.
- Upwork is the largest freelance marketplace with web design freelancers with all kinds of experience.
- You can hire web designers that fit any budget or price point.
- With a structured payment system, you approve each project milestone before payment so you can ensure projects get accomplished the way you want.
- Because English is not the first language for many of Upwork’s freelancers, there can be frequent communication issues.
- Unless you use Upwork Pro, sorting through all the possible hires while looking for a website designer can be very time consuming.
- Upwork is not known for their helpful customer service.
99designs employs a contest model where designers submit their proposals for what your site could look like. You then can hire the website designer whose proposal best fits your vision for the site and continue revisions from there. The site offers different packages which determine the skill level of website designers for hire through design submissions.
- With the contest format, you can receive dozens of submissions from freelance web designers which allows you to see different ways to design your site.
- There are different payment structures allowing for greater flexibility in balancing desired design experience and budget.
- 99designs is structured to get really quick outcomes, so if you want a rapid turnaround when you hire a web designer, it’s a great option.
- The nature of the contest format means that the focus is much more on the visual presentation than UX or UI concepts.
- Although 99designs has added mechanisms to keep high performers, the contest structure also does not incentivize top web designers to take part in the site.
- Most of the communication with the designers occurs after the contest, which can be frustrating if something is misinterpreted on the initial request.
Dribbble was designed for designers, thoughtfully created to allow designers to have a space to display work, connect, and create. Originally invite-only, Dribbble has transformed to include anyone. The site now hosts a job board to help you find a web designer. Additionally, you can sign up for a Dribbble Talent partner for a curated selection of more experienced web designers.
- As the only platform dedicated solely to designers, Dribbble has designers of all types.
- The community nature of Dribbble provides an opportunity for designers to provide each other feedback and pull inspiration from the community. You can source some of your ideas from the community at large.
- Dribbble Talent Partner can narrow down the pool of web designers for hire more specifically to your needs.
- The focus on visual portfolios has weeded out web designers focused more on user experience (UX), an important element in web design.
- All Dribbble transactions and project management occur outside of the site.
- There’s no way for Dribbble to mediate if something goes awry with your hire.
Working Not Working.
Working Not Working (WNW) is an “UnJobBoard,” which tries to liven up the process of hiring and searching for jobs. Beginning with 300 highly talented freelancers, WNW has grown to include any creative that wants to have a profile, with the lucky few selected as “Vetted.” WNW has each freelancer mark their availability, so you know exactly when someone can tackle your project.
- WNW has a way to identify high quality “vetted” candidates if you need a website designer with a high skill level.
- Designers mark their availability, so you can look for web designers that fit your timeframe.
- Human, WNW’s concierge service currently in development helps save time by facilitating the right match.
- Payments and contracts occur outside of the site, so there is not customer support if things are not going to plan.
- WNW is focused on large companies that frequently hire website designers rather than one-off jobs.
Envato Studio is part of the larger Envato Marketplace which includes different services and communities. The Studio has freelancers and agencies offering different packages around web design and other skills. Packages are straightforward and available in a wide affordable price range (anywhere between $10 and $2000).
- Envato Studio has quick solutions to find a web designer and get a website built and out the door.
- Envato web designers for hire provide web solutions at a very low price.
- The site is straightforward and the project management set up is very simple.
- Envato does not offer significant customer service support.
- It is hard to know about the quality of the product you buy in advance, except through user ratings.
- Envato is geared towards straightforward, out-of-the-box solutions, so if you need something more specialized, this may not be the right fit for you.
DesignCrowd uses the power of crowdsourcing to create design options for you. By posting a contest, you will recieve design ideas from dozens of freelance website designers, from which you can choose the one you would like to proceed with. The platform offers different level packages, which provide access to different levels of designers. The most affordable is just $99!
- DesignCrowd provides an extremely low cost way to source a collection of ideas on how to visualize your site.
- DesignCrowd has a money back guarantee: if you don’t find a website designer you like, you only lose the fees.
- Designs get turned around quickly and on your timeframe.
- DesignCrowd focuses specifically on the visual elements, so you may find website designers are not incentivized to address other elements important to web design.
- Due to the contest format, more highly skilled web designers who can find more reliable work elsewhere tend to do just that.
- The contest allows some questions and answers but does not allow a more integrated approach.
Behance was created by Adobe to have a place for the designers and artists using Adobe Creative Suite to display their work. There are some incredible pieces of art on display. Customers can then select different packages to receive access to the designers–and to be able to post jobs.
- Portfolios on Behance include animated or video presentations of web designers’ work which allows you to explore the interface.
- Behance is the place to go to find web designers using the Adobe Creative Suite.
- You can find website designers on Behance that can accomodate any budget.
- Hiring through portfolios, as in the case of Behance, requires significant knowledge of the field.
- Hiring website designers through portfolios is a time-consuming process.
- The UX of Behance can be overwhelming and unfocused.
People Per Hour.
PeoplePerHour (PPH) is based in the UK and focused on the European market, particularly for small businesses. The company has a project management tool called workstream that allows for online project management within the site. “Hourlies” are set-priced hourly packages that you can select instead of posting a job.
- You can find web designers that meet any budget.
- PPH has a focus on serving small businesses, which makes it a great fit if that is your profile.
- Instead of posting a project, you can find a web designer freelance by selecting a pre-priced package.
- PPH is not known for its customer service, so be prepared to tackle disputes on your own.
- There are additional fees that pop up depending on what you are looking for, so be sure to be alert to those.
- With many designers speaking English as a foreign language, communication can be tough.
Freelancer has become the largest freelance marketplace with many different hiring options. As opposed to other marketplaces, the site charges both the freelancer and the hirer for initiating a project–which places the burden on both, but also changes the incentive structure by making sure both sides have skin in the game.
- On Freelancer, you can hire a web designer through a contest, a job post, or conduct a search.
- There are website designer for hire at any budget.
- The option for milestones on the project management side helps you gauge progress and mitigate risk.
- It can be difficult to sift through freelancers to find the best web designer for your particular project.
- Freelancer is not known for its customer service, so be prepared to tackle disputes on your own.
Fiverr began as a marketplace where every “gig” cost just $5. While services have expanded to include much higher cost options, the platform continues to be known for very low cost services. Moving to Fiverr Pro provides access to a select group of freelancers and round the clock customer service.
- Milestones and other project management tools help mitigate risk and keep the project on task.
- Instead of posting a project, you can select pre-priced packages offered by designers.
- Fiverr Pro provides access to a more select group of freelancers and may save you time on the selection side.
- There are lots of scams on the site, so be very careful!
- You cannot post a job, so you have to find a job that matches your needs, or request that a freelancer give you a special bid.
- Fiverr has a rather poor track record when it comes to customer service.
Send us feedback