The Top 11 platforms to hire a UX designer:
Toptal takes the traditional freelance marketplace to the next level. With significant screening and testing for freelancers to even join the network, Toptal has eliminated the time that it normally takes to sift through masses of profiles for the hidden jewels. With its extremely personalized matching service, Toptal is the luxury matchmaking service of the freelance world. Still, Toptal is accessible to small businesses and startups in addition to large enterprises. To hire freelance UX designers, Toptal is one of your best options.
- Toptal’s highly selective screening process means that only the best UX designers for hire make it into the network, so you are guaranteed to work with high quality, professional, experienced individuals.
- Toptal will custom match you with the right UX designer for your project, so you’ll save on time and energy spent searching for the right candidate.
- Toptal provides a no-risk trial period, so if you find you don’t work well with the designer you were matched with, you can switch or stop the project at no cost.
- Due to the caliber of freelancers and personalized matching service, Toptal may be more expensive than other platforms.
- If you are still ideating on your project plan, you may want to begin with a less expensive option that’ll allow you to test out ideas without incurring many expenses.
Upwork is the result of the merger between the two largest freelance marketplaces at the time, Odesk and Elance. The platform has over 17 million users with 3 million jobs posted annually. Upwork has worked to provide clear project management tools and transparent payment systems that attempt to protect both the buyer and seller. Upwork Pro and Enterprise provide access to more highly qualified talent and additional resources.
- The most well-known freelance marketplace, Upwork boasts that 90% of customers rehire.
- Hire a UX designer that meet any budget.
- The system of milestones ensures that you do not pay until elements of the project have been met.
- Upwork offers very limited customer service.
- The bidding process has become highly diluted, with many freelancers using boilerplate responses. As such, it can be very difficult to identify the best UX designers to hire for your project.
- Upwork and similar platforms have been called a race to the bottom, as freelancers underbid each other to win jobs. While this lowers the price, it also lowers the quality.
Dribbble tags itself as “the community for designers.” The Dribbble community platform facilitates discussions, creativity, and inspiration for designers, and now includes a job board as well. Originally invite-only, Dribbble has a reputation for hosting talented and interesting designers. The platform is driven by portfolios, so it’s very visual and less focused on the technical aspects of design.
- Dribbble is a community of designers of all types, so you can find UX designers with a wide variety of skills.
- Dribbble designers provide each other feedback and source ideas from one another.
- With Dribbble Talent, you can receive pre-vetted UX design recommendations and access a higher tier of candidates ready to work with you.
- Hires are made independently from Dribbble, so if you hire UX designer and any issues arise, you’re on your own.
- Freelancers on Dribbble are not vetted, so sorting for quality can be difficult.
Working Not Working.
Working Not Working (WNW) is a job board unto itself. Calling itself an “UnJobBoard”, WNW is geared towards creatives looking for larger jobs and permanent work. With the option for freelancers to mark their calendars and their status as Working or Not working, you can determine which UX designers for hire fit your time frame.
- Working Not Working has UX designers for hire looking for all different kinds of design work.
- WNW does not charge commission, so for very large-budget or long term projects, it can be a fairly inexpensive way to hire.
- Using Human, WNW’s concierge service, you can save time when selecting the best UX designer to hire for your needs.
- Much like Dribbble, WNW has opened their marketplace to anyone, diluting the talent pool. While members can be given a “Vetted Badge” by the Membership Board, the process is somewhat random.
- Hires are made independently from WNW, so if any issues arise you’re on your own.
- WNW requires significant sorting and research if you are not accepted to use Human.
Envato Studio is one of a collection of services provided on the Envato community. The Studio hosts companies and individuals that provide different packages of services. You can search the platform by keyword or by price, time frame, and category. Services are not particularly tailored, but are very affordable.
- Envato is extremely affordable and has options at different price levels.
- For straightforward projects, the project management side of Envato is about as simple as it can be.
- In many ways, Envato Studio provides “one stop shop” solutions–especially for WordPress web design and other web-builder platforms with UX concepts already incorporated.
- Envato Studio mainly offers pre-made templates rather than customized designs.
- Besides company ratings, there are not many ways to evaluate for quality.
- Templates and solutions are fairly simple so UX is limited to the original intent of the template.
Adobe created Behance to allow creatives using the Adobe Creative Suite to display their work. Behance is a portfolio format that allows designers of all kinds to display their artwork and products. The platform requires membership to access hiring, or an Adobe Creative Cloud subscription to start out. The platform is also structured as a social network for creatives to provide feedback and work together.
- With infrastructure for both animated and video presentations, designers can show off UX functionality better than other portfolio sites.
- Artists of all type and at all levels use Behance, so you can find the right UX designer for hire that fits your budget and need.
- Designers pay a fee to post portfolio work, which helps ensure that the UX designers are committed and receiving work.
- It is tough to hire through portfolios if you’re not particularly experienced in UX design.
- Because of the focus on visual elements, there are fewer UX designers for hire on the platform.
- Behance doesn’t have the easiest platform for sorting through candidates to find the best UX designers to hire.
People Per Hour.
PeoplePerHour, PPH, is geared towards the European market. PPH uses a tool called workstream to manage your projects and interact closely with your hires. There is also a focus on hiring through packages called “hourlies,” which have a set price and description.
- There are UX designers available to fit even the smallest budget.
- A unique element of PPH is its focus on small businesses, and tailoring solutions to small business needs.
- “Hourlies,” or pre-packaged services, mean that you can save time on hiring UX designers by not developing a job description or sorting through all of the applicants.
- There is very limited customer service to handle disputes.
- PPH keeps prices low by including additional fees for each additional requirement of the job.
- With designers from all over the world, the level of communication in English varies greatly.
Freelancer is the largest freelance marketplace with over 30 million users. The platform is a bit different in that it charges a flat 10% fee for most projects, or a 15% fee for freelancers hired from the Preferred Freelancer Program. The Preferred Freelancer Program provides a pool of more highly recommended candidates. In addition, both parties pay fees for initiating a project, whether or not the project is completed.
- There are various ways to find a UX designer for hire including holding a contest, posting a job, or using a filtered search.
- You can hire UX designers that fit any budget.
- You can pay according to completed milestones, which helps relieve some of the risk involved with hiring online.
- Many freelancers use boilerplate responses, which may make it difficult to hire a UX designer skilled appropriately for your project.
- Many buyers and freelancers are frustrated with the customer service and the way in which payments are processed.
- There are lots of scams on the site, so proceed cautiously.
Fiverr began as a marketplace of “gigs” at only $5. It has since expanded to include customized jobs up to $10,000. Still, the site remains focused on smaller jobs, previously running a campaign about custom logo designs at $5. On Fiverr, you can also upgrade to Fiverr Pro, which grants access to vetted freelancers as well as on-call support. All jobs are posted by the freelancers from which you can make a hire or ask for custom design.
- Fiverr Pro provides access to a more select group of UX designers.
- UX designers for hire post “gigs” for you to select from, so you do not have to write a job description.
- UX designers are identified by different levels, so you know how much experience the freelancer has on the site.
- Rather than freelancers bidding on your projects, you have to search “gigs” that the freelancers have created to find one that best suits your needs.
- There can be hidden fees.
- The platform is set up for simple projects, so more complex tasks can be difficult to complete here.
UX Hires is a platform dedicated to matching UX designers with projects. Highly curated, the platform provides options for long term hires as well as freelancers. A clever initiative of the company Motivate Designs, UX Hires creates the opportunity for Motivate Designs to scan for the best UX designers as well as procure business when it is a good fit. When its not, they get you set up with the right designer for you.
- With the narrow focus on UX design, you can find a UX designer with the right set of skills for your job.
- The team has breadth and depth of experience in the field, so they know the right questions to ask to get you the right team.
- There is flexibility on the types of hire you make.
- Closely related to the design firm, there are some mixed motives. This may not be a problem, but it is something to keep in mind.
- Because the platform is solely dedicated to UX design, you will have to look elsewhere for other types of designers.
- There is not much transparency on pricing.
Webby Central is a collection of companies with different specialties. All of them take UI and UX design seriously. With reach across many different countries, Webby Central has completed projects in many different industry verticals. While it is not a traditional hiring platform, Webby Central has the tools you need to get the work done.
- Webby Central can provide significant UX design as well as full stack development.
- With their collection of companies, you can work with a company that specializes in the type of work you are looking for.
- As a company rather than a hiring platform, there are fewer options on the types of hires you can make.
- It is not clear on the main website how to hire from the different companies.